Polo is a game that we have come to recognise with royalty in this country and it has also had an influence on our fashion industry with the Farah Polo Shirt being based on the design of the shirts worn by the players on the field. If you don’t know much about the game here are some interesting facts about the game of Polo.
- The game was originally created over 2000 years ago as a way for the King’s guards to train on their horses and to improve their riding skills.
- The white clothing was established in India where playing in the heat meant the need for lighter coloured clothing to be worn.
- The version of Polo that we play is on horseback but there have been instances around the world where this has been played on the back of elephants, camels and donkeys.
- Polo ponies are bred specifically for the sport and are in fact a cross between a quarter horse and a thoroughbred. The term pony is used more in affectionate terms than as an actual equine description.
- As a result of the rules of the game it is one of the only sports that can be played only with the right hand.